Wednesday, September 14, 2011

1957 halter dress

Vogue V2962

Vogue V2962
I made this little number for a gig I sang this year for the Seattle Gilbert and Sullivan Society (they are great, go see their shows).  Anyway, I was very excited to use a Vintage Vogue pattern (circa 1957) that looked just gorgeous.  We went up to Vancouver, Canada to the Indian Market and bought this sari fabric (not silk).  It cost something like $11.00 for 6.5 yards.  A steal.  BUT, it frays like crazy, so I serged every edge.

The pattern was tricky.  I measured a size 14, but again, it was way too big.  I also thought the bodice was too full and bunchy.  (You see, I am a little, ehem, robust in the bust and chest enhancing blousiness just makes me look sloppy.)  So, I made the dress from the waist up in muslin and futzed and recut until I came up with something I liked.  It was a pain, but I think it worked out alright.  The buttons and loops up the back of this dress are my favorite feature.  Very elegant, and much easier to sew than I'd imagined.

Please note, this is being worn with a petticoat.  The dress on its own is not that full.

All in all, I don't think I will make this one again, because it required so much altering, and halter tops hurt my neck.

Pattern: Vintage Vogue V2962
Fabric: Indian sari fabric, polyester or some such fake fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment