Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ballet dress

Butterick 6582

Butterick 6582

Butterick 6582
This was my birthday present to myself this year.  I wore it to a performance of Giselle at Pacific Northwest Ballet, hence the dress's name.

A Retro Butterick pattern from 1960, I was drawn to the neck line.  I had a heck of the time getting the neck pieces to meet in the middle, though.  I also had a devil of a time with the neck and arm facings...they just didn't fit.  So, it was a "make it work moment" for those of you Project Runway fans.  The darts also had to be reshaped to really fit close to the body.

I had to order the supplies to make the covered belt (then I found out the Pacific Fabrics carries that stuff), but it was so worth it.  I just love having a matching belt.  Again, this dress has a petticoat under it.  If you are going to go vintage, you simply must invest in the proper undergarments.

Pattern: Butterick 6582
Fabric: Shiny polyester from JoAnne fabric

No comments:

Post a Comment