Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Wedding Dress

Vogue V1094

Vogue V1094
No, it wasn't MY wedding.  I made this for my step-brother's wedding.  It is a Vintage Vogue 1955, fully lined pattern and I just love it!  Notice how the skirt attaches below the waist.  Love that.

Of course, I cut about 2 sizes smaller than the pattern said to (why so much ease in your patterns, people?!!!)  The bands on the neckline gave me a little trouble, but I think that was do to my skill, rather than the pattern.  The pattern has a few interesting features.  #1, it has this "belt" of ribbon on the inside at the waist.  There is a lot of weight hanging off of this bodice, and the belt helps keep the waist in place and give it a little structure.  #2, the pattern uses a horsehair braid in the hem of the lining.  I went to the fabric store and they didn't even know what this was.  Well, here you go: it is plastic, not horsehair, and is a sort of loosely woven mesh that gives a very soft hoop effect to a skirt...really poofs out the bottom.  (I am also wearing a petticoat in this picture).  It is made by Dritz and comes in different widths and colors. 

People just loved this dress.  I highly recommend making this pattern if you like this sort of thing.

Pattern: Vintage Vogue V1094
Fabric: Some sort of printed polyester from JoAnn Fabric

9 comments:

  1. Great Dress!I made this same (or very similar dress) for my brothers wedding in 1990. It was the same blue and white color only the print was polka dot. Some day when I see you I will have to tell you the story about that dress, I can't tell you here because the individual involved may not wanted it posted on the world wide web.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A blog is perfect for someone as multi-talented as you, Christy! Though I have NO ability to sew or knit or weave, I shall get vicarious pleasure from your postings. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GAH. You and your talent. I'd hate you if you weren't so inspiring and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I'm debating sewing this pattern (full length) for my wedding dress! Any words of wisdom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,
      This will be a gorgeous wedding dress! Congratulations!
      The only tricky part for me was figuring out how the neckline went together. I had never done anything like that and I didn't do it in muslin first. So, I'd just make sure you really understand before you waste any fabric doing it incorrectly. Otherwise, this was a really fun dress to make and it gets rave reviews every time I wear it.

      Have fun!

      Delete
    2. Hello! I also had trouble with the banded neckline, until I googled pictures of others' finished products. Based on the sketch, there is not much definition that the bands are separated; I was anticipating them to be more like cummerbund around your arms. Once I saw a few examples of others' completed garments, I let out a big "OOoooooohhhhhDUH!"
      I also noticed not many others had pressed their neckline bands, which, being cut solely on the bias, made them quite ripply....

      Oh, and when they say lay your lining atop your fashion fabric and stitch the darts simultaneously, they mean it!

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. (Meant to place this here, not as a reply)
    Anyway, the thing that brought me to this page! The short length pattern called for only 3.75 yds of horsehair, yet I barely ran out of braid long before I ran out of skirt. And the longer length they required 4.5 yds? What are they thinking?? Did you just happen to have extra 2" horsehair on hand? Though from your post, I gather you live in a bustling metropolis that carries horsehair in stock beyond 5/8" and you could run out at any time to grab some, mine does not, so even when I ordered 4yds, more than was called for, I still wound up with not enough. And my Haunted Housewife dress goes unworn for the second Halloween... oh well, maybe I'll complete the hem before next year!
    Oh, and thank you for your post, yours looks lovely (and finished)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alas, I didn't have 2 inch horsehair either. I took two strips of 1 inch and zigzagged them together. I can't remember what the pattern said, but I put the horsehair in the lining so it would give structure without showing through on the dress. I made this dress 2 years ago and forgot what a pain the neckline was until I read your comments. Ha!

    ReplyDelete