Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Peter Pan Polka Dots



Colette Violet
Colette Violet detail

I bought this red polka-dot fabric (rayon chiffon, I think?) in a little fabric shop in Ashland, OR...coincidentally, the same shop that turned me on to Colette patterns in the first place.  I didn't know what I'd do with it, but thought this little peter pan blouse would be adorable.  I discovered three things while I was making this piece:
     1. I absolutely hate working with sheers,
     2. non-fitted blouses just aren't my thing,
     3. armscyes are the devil.
I fought with this blouse a bit...okay, to be honest I nearly tore it to pieces in frustration.

I started with a size 4, but the shoulder was quite wide, so I made it a bit narrower (is that a word?).  The armscye was all wrong for me and had to be re-cut, with sleeves to match.  Then I tried on the blouse and just hated the boxiness of it, so I added waist darts.  I don't know exactly what I did, but by the time I was ready to hem, the bottom of this blouse was nowhere near straight.  Guess my novice seamstressing and the loose weave of the fabric combined to spell disaster.  So, I put the darned thing on the dress form and eyeballed a shaped hem (like the bottom of a men's dress shirt).  It turned out quite nicely and I just love wearing it with jeans.

Pattern: Colette Violet
Size: 4, with alterations
Fabric: rayon chiffon from Fabric of Vision in Ashland, OR

No comments:

Post a Comment